Wednesday 6 August 2014

First review of Literary Gaming published in Leonardo

I'm really excited by the first review of Literary Gaming, published this month in Leonardo. In it Rob Harle describes the book as "a fascinating and detailed scholarly exploration of this fairly new field of academic inquiry...The book is very well written and, considering some of the complex theories (communication, meaning, authorship and so on) discussed, is still accessible to the interested general reader." He expects that "Literary Gaming will become a core text in the academic fields of new media, digital gaming, and literature itself. I cannot recommend the book highly enough to be included in all of the relevant university curricula, as well as being an excellent resource and inspiration for experimental game designers and creative writers." My response to his criticism that there should be an appendix listing all the works discussed in the book is that there is actually a comprehensive list of all primary material mentioned in the manuscript (pp. 173-177 of the Bibliography). But I accept that a list of further primary reading would have been useful too. I've made such a list for my own research and I may put it on this blog as soon as I've had a chance to edit it a little. In the meantime, feel free to contact me if you'd like to see it in its present, raw form.
Anyway, thanks to Rob Harle for this positive evaluation. Hope we'll meet some day in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment